Pages

  • HOME
  • ABOUT
  • POLICIES / DISCLOSURES
  • CONTACT ME
STYLE ART LIFE

Monday 10 June 2013

West End Festival: Mardi Gras

 WARNING: Picture heavy post!

Yesterday I went to Glasgow's West End Festival Mardi Gras, and damn it was good fun. It was almost going to be cancelled this year, but thanks to a sponsorship deal was brought back in full force.

I'd actually found out entirely by chance that the parade was on the night before, and dragged my mum along with me. Thanks to the combination of concrete, sun and lots of sweaty people, Byres Road was ridiculously hot, but despite that it was an awesome day.

Taking part was a crazy variety of groups; charities, the Conservatoire, dance groups, cultural arts societies, CND, nurseries, steampunks, drummers, plus many more I forget.



Fun fact: the dance forms belly dancing takes from are traditionally performed by both men and women, and the outfit was created by Egyptian cabaret owners as it was what Western tourists expected.

Sheboom - all female drumming group. These guys were amazing!
Glasgow Steampunks!
And of course, there were the DRAGONS -



I LOVE DRAGONS. BOW DOWN TO YOUR KHALEESI.

If only I were imposing enough. .


I'll be posting my pick of the West End Festival events later, so until then, take care!





Fee

 

2 comments:

I love interacting with readers, and promise to reply all comments. Spam and advertising will be deleted.