Pages

  • HOME
  • ABOUT
  • POLICIES / DISCLOSURES
  • CONTACT ME
STYLE ART LIFE

Monday 7 April 2014

Craft: Dried Roses

drying roses
 
Flowers are a very decadent item; they only last a short time, but for their brief life they bring so much colour and scent into a room. It's always so sad to see flowers wilting; if I can't have their fresh beauty for longer, then I will make sure it lives on indefinitely.
 


roses

 
To celebrate both the first day of spring and an anniversary, I decided last month to dry a bouquet of roses I was recently given by the gamer. I love the art of preserving flowers; I pressed them as a child in books, and now hang them up to dry on a line in my tiny room in Dundee. I'm a sentimentalist at heart, really.
 
roses, dried, flowers, dried roses

For those wanting to dry their own flowers, I would recommend waiting until your blooms have opened up properly to make sure that they don't get blighted by mildew when drying (these ones were a challenge, and I had to pry them open a bit more with a pair of tweezers). Hang them upside down on a clothing line for a week or until dry (or when you get tired of constantly bumping into them when you try to go to your desk), then take down and arrange them into a bouquet or otherwise.
 
Dried Roses, flowers, bouquet
 
 
Have you ever preserved flowers? Did you do anything for the start of spring? Let me know in the comments!
 
 
 
 
 
Fee
 
 
 
P.S. Did you know that I have a facebook page now? You can get all my blog posts on there, as well as lots of other things I don't feature on here. It would mean lots if you were to like it!
 


2 comments:

  1. such a nice idea! I have an old math textbook that has a few pressed flowers I got from boys who...um... courted me long ago. they're probably flat enough by now, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - books aren't bad for it, though I had a small flowerpress which was also useful.

      Delete

I love interacting with readers, and promise to reply all comments. Spam and advertising will be deleted.